Thursday, October 23, 2008

"I can help these people!"

I think that's why I like Stargate so much.  That line.  And it's something that I say to myself quite often.  I don't know how, but I know I can help people.

I always seem to be slammed when this topic comes up.  I'd say it averages about once every three or four weeks.  I hear something that makes me start thinking about things that are wrong in the world, then I stumble on two or three different things that fit in that category.  And to illustrate what I mean, I'll give you tonight's story.

I turn on my iTunes and launch one of my podcast subscriptions.  It's a sermon given by Pastor Matt Brown from my home church, Sandals.  In this sermon, Matt is discussing what we as christians should be doing with the issue of abortion in the US.  As I'm listening, I start thinking about what I could offer in different positions/situations.  Helping the mother, taking care of the baby, encouraging life, and all that.  So yeah.  Then a few minutes after that, as I'm going through my blog roll, I notice some links in Lori Jo's latest entry.  So I go to the links.  BAM and BAM.  Two HUGE issues that I've always felt very strongly about.  I almost started crying.  How CAN I help?  I can't make any donations cuz my budget is tighter than spandex on a fat guy.  I signed up for the news letter at Project Nightlight, but it looks like most of what they do is in LA.  So if that's the case, then volunteering is out.  So I dunno.  I should definitely be looking for local things though.

So there it is.  Just thought I'd share.

2 comments:

LJ said...

look for a local pregnancy counseling center. lindy encouraged us to volunteer at the riverside life services. riversidelifeservices.org

i'm sure there is one near you. these are usually non profits and need lots of volunteers. everything from construction, to organizing baby clothes and diapers. there are always plenty of things to do. check it out. and i'm sorry to say that you can't really be involved in some of those links that i put up. it's more important to be able to live what you believe and not just donate money. that's a lie that satan uses to convince us that we've done enough by mailing our check. God wants our lives. our thoughts, our actions. my group is planning to make blankets and give them to the pregnancy counseling center. i don't know what the guys' groups talked about, but i'd encourage you to ask some of the guys from SCU about what guys can do. and i know that we did have one of our guys sign up and volunteered at the center, with baby clothes and stuff.

Anita J. said...

I'm with LoriJo on a the whole check thing. In our area they have volunteer positions available for child advocacy. I think you help gather information for abuse cases. Maybe there is something like that in your area? Or you can volunteer with other organizations who work with abused children.

I think rolling up your sleeves and being there in person might cause you to thank God that you weren't able to mail a check.

I could throw out suggestions all day, but I'm stopping and saying a prayer that God gives you His answer to this question. He has a work to do in you and through you.